The next Club Meeting will be held on June 22nd at 7:00pm via ZOOM.
The May FARM club newsletter is now on-line!
- For immediate release, notice to Piedmont area UAS pilots.
Reference : 38 deg., 27 min., 33 sec. north latitude; 77 deg., 53 min. 33 sec., west longitude as of 16 hours, 7 minutes Zulu, April 18th 2021.
Please note as a model of determination and persistence that at the place sited and the time indicated, John Gilbert having flown numerous unassisted buddy box flights, did successfully complete, pass and otherwise accomplish his solo check flight on the pictured SIG Kadet. His instructor for this check flight notes his maneuvers and two take-offs and landings were uneventful. Well done, John! Q.E.D.
P.S. there were several witnesses (Photo courtesy of Gordon Collyer).
- Well, it's that time of year, again! The FARM crew consisted of the 'eight amigos'(plus Dave). Thanks to all for participating in the 2021 field day at Farm Club. You resurrected all three club mowers. An amazing job of team work, determination and grit was demonstrated to overcome a number of equipment issues. The field was rolled for the first time this year using the new club roller. Also, the brush in front of the pond ( at the insistence of Charlie K.) was collected and moved to the Rhynalds trash pile. (Photo courtesy of Don Manson).
- Mahit is looking for a Backup pattern plane!
- Below is a picture of John Hutton's latest project: a Carl Goldberg Valkyrie. John has written an article (with construction pictures) on the history of the plane including details regarding its construction.
- During our FARM Club meeting of Dec 22nd, Ralph G shared a look at his new Japanese Industry Standard Screwdriver set. For those who don't already know, those Philips style screws that our standard screwdirvers just don't seem to quite fit are actually Japanese screws that require special (for us) screwdrivers. These are really handy for when you need them (ask me how I know)! Picture (Courtesy of Ralph Graul).
- Club member Gordon Collyer has shared with us a Write Up on the Electric Conversion of the Muddiman "Flying Machine". Gordon walks us through the steps necessary to do an electric conversion, build, and test fly the resulting machine. This is an excellent read and I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
- John Hunton's remembrances of Tom Chipley.
- Our FARM Club President received a $500.00 donation to Farm Club from Paul Waddell in the name of his daughter Virginia Waddell! Picture (Courtesy of Dave Rothbart).
- One of the last good flying days in November of 2020: no wind and 76 degrees! Picture (Courtesy of Dave Rothbart).
- The FARM 2021 Member Renewal Form and the FARM 2021 Application Form are now online.
- We have a lot of different aircraft land at our field, but I think that this is a first! Picture (Courtesy of Dave Rothbart).
- Don Szczur has provided us with a Recap of the F3A Team Interview. Click here to read the Recap.
- The FARM 2020 FALL Pattern Classic was held on Sep 19th. The CD for the event was Nic Burhans. The pilots had to contend with rather brisk winds and chilly weather. But fear not, our intrepid pilots braved the elements and ended up actually having a good time. Don Szczur has provided an excellent detailed account (with pictures!) of the event. Click here to read all about the contest.
- No COVID-19 in this house! Thanks to Charlie for dis-infecting our Port-a-John. Picture (Courtesy of Dave Rothbart).
- Well, the FARM 'Motley Crew' has been hard at work replacing our poor old weathered winsock. Thanks to Les, Nic, Charlie, Ernie, and Dave (taking picture) for their hard work.
- Sunday (09/06/2020) was the Club's Fun Day – Fun Fly #6 (Yes, it was only the second one we have flown this year, but it was the sixth one in the scheduled sequence of six for the year). We had a good turnout! Les cooked some burgers and hot dogs. The funfly consisted of
flying the Club Pattern sequence. Picture (Courtesy of Dave Rothbart).
- If you are planning on (or thinking about) participating in the FARM Pattern Contest, it is requested that you pre-register on the NSRCA website. For more info on the FARM Pattern Contest, click here.
- Sunday (07/12/2020) was the Club's Fun Day – Fun Fly #4 (Yes, it was the first one we have flown this year, but it was the fourth one in the scheduled sequence of six for the year). We had seven members who participated in the Fun Day and Fun Fly and received Fun Fly points. 1st place went to Ken Bassett, 2nd place to Ralph Graul, and 3rd place to Don Szczur!
1st place - Ken Bassett (Photo courtesy of Ralph Graul)
2nd place - Ralph Graul (Photo courtesy of Ralph Graul)
3rd place - Don Szczur (Photo courtesy of Ralph Graul)
- Here is Ralph G. on 05/16/2020 (Courtesy of Dave Rothbart) rolling our field. Here's hoping that we will be able to maximize our field usage in the very near future! Thanks for the hard work, Ralph. Remember folks, the field is open!
- Well, it's that time of year, again! The FARM 'Mowing Crew' is preparing our mowers and equipment for the onslaught of the 2020 grass growing season. Thanks to Nic, Ernie, Bill, Charlie, Gordon, and Dave (taking picture) for their hard work.
- At our February 25, 2020 meeting, Charlie Koustenis (our club engine expert), demonstrated how to disassemble an OS .91 4-stroke engine. He also
explained how to set the timing marks properly. Picture (Courtesy of Jeff Killen).
- Take a look at John Hunton's latest project! John is building a Vought V-173 'Flying Pancake'.
- The mowing crew has transitioned from a fixed schedule to the use of SignupGenius. One of the advantages is that emails are sent out some days before so that it acts as a friendly reminder. If you can help with the mowing, sign up at Mowing Sched, above.
- Don Szczur and Dave Rothbart are assisting in the construction of an RC trainer
organized by EAA 186 Young Eagles. Picture (Courtesy of Dave Rothbart).
- The first meeting of the New Year (2020) was held at the Warrenton Community Center. Ralph brought his new
jet for some helpful suggestions on programming; and Duane brought his newly fabricated sailplane carrier. Picture (Courtesy of Dave Rothbart).
- Club Members: If you are interested in the mobile version of our website, then check out the Mobile Website link at the left for details on your options (including a FARM Club app).
- See you at the field...